The foundation of the Barclay Medical Practice
Green Area practice:
Around the beginning of the 1920’s this was a single handed practice located at the top of Maryhill Road at the intersection with Shiskine Drive. Now the site of a Dental Surgery. Dr Stanley Smith was the original Senior partner later joined by Dr Hetty MacKinnon.
Upon Dr Smith’s retiral in 1982, the practice re-located to Maryhill Health Centre. Dr Byford joined the partnership in 1986, Dr Spence and Dr Haggerty in 1997, Dr Meredith in 2002 and Dr Taylor in 2009.
The practice has traditionally had strong links with the Glasgow University student population, and in 1992 a small branch site was opened in the Murano Street Student Complex. This gradually became too small for purpose and in 2009 re-located to the newly opened Fraser Building within the campus at Glasgow University. This has allowed us to increase the range of services provided to the local student population, from modern, state of the art premises.
Yellow Area Practice
In the early 1930’s Dr Murray had a practice in Hopehill Road, later Dr Robertson joined the surgery and, like many GP’s at the time, opened a “shop-front” surgery on Maryhill Road near Kilmuir Street. Dr Strang took over the practice and moved it into Maryhill Health Centre where Dr’s Harris, Mackenzie, Macnamara and McCall joined the busy practice.
The Barclay Medical Centre at the University
This was opened on the 18th March 2009 by Robert and Simon Barclay in Memory of their Grandfather Robert Francis Barclay CBE, LLD, LLB whose generosity provided residential accommodation for students at 21 Park Terrace and funded a lectureship in paediatrics and neonatal medicine at Yorkhill Hospital.
New Barclay Practice
Both the Green and Yellow practices merged on 1 July 2014. All the partners felt that, as a larger provider, we can join forces to provide additional services (e.g. Saturday morning clinics, nail cutting service and physiotherapy).
The New Maryhill Health and Care centre opened on 19th September 2016.
Barclay City Practice
On 1st April 2017 we began to provide medical care for Barclay Medical- City a practice located on St Georges Rd.
The ethos of the practice is patient first.